Feb 10, 2009

some things are not meant to be


read richard carlson's book An Hour to Live, an Hour to Love. read about the deep love that runs between him and his wife and is really inspired. love-at-first-sight and the love that slowly nurtured between them through the years. sweet, slightly cheesy but most definitely very romantic. will my life have a happy ending too? i have a fragile heart and cannot take too many twists and turns.

he advocates letting go of all the small things. if we had only an hour left to live, we wouldnt be calling our insurance agents or financial advisers or lawyers or the like. we cannot be so caught up in the world that we neglect those closest to us. i like how he and his wife can just sit by their favourite bench and just enjoy the sunset. tranquil. a scene out of a postcard. different men have different ways of expressing their love. i just love his expression in the form of words.

i feel really lost. western societies follow the 'self-above-society' model. whereas eastern societies conform to the 'society-above-self' model. richard carlson can just let go of everything because he sees in the grand scheme of things. we should aim to be happy. but in the pursuit of happiness, we might compromise that of other people. i could just drop everything now and go and pursue what i love most, but in doing so i would inevitably be letting my parents down (as seen in the eyes of the asian society). sometimes i ask myself what am i going to university for? there are countless examples of people who have became successful in life and they mostly did not pursue higher education. so am i studying to become just another educated fool?

no doubt the stuff i learn in real estate is critical to my life. i learn about how to source out the best housing loans (useful if i want to buy a house in future) and learn about how to use leverage to purchase several properties to make myself a rich man. but am i really happy? when i let my mind wander during lectures (which is not hard considering how worthless some lectures are), i realise that subconciously i find myself outdoors. i imagine myself scaling some cliff in some picturesque climbing crag with just me and a partner. and then my palms sweat. perhaps these are signs to me. my mother did tell me to go off to whichever country i fancy to train under a coach. but somehow i cannot let go of everything like that. i joined the rat race of education in Singapore and cannot seem to tear myself away from running along its well-trodden tracks. i see other youths leading the life i've always coveted but too timid to attempt and cant help but feel envious. i want to float away on the gossamer wings of my imagination, but i cannot help the nagging strands of rationality tugging at me.

i find myself up to my neck with work recently and cannot find time to do the things i love to do most, that is climbing hardcore, reading and immersing myself in the world of knowledge, and learning to play the piano, and sitting in a quiet place and just watching the clouds drift by.

busy busy busy. but am i really happy? having said all these, the biggest irony is that tomorrow i'll find myself repeating the cycle all over again.


her clothes were unadorned, yet her beauty was undimished.

6 comments:

  1. muahah.who you wana thank for the Richard Carlson book=)

    ReplyDelete
  2. well at least you figured it out that you have a problem, it's a start :) maybe if you think fast you might get a solution quickly as well - it doesn't seem that you will be letting your parents down if your mom talks like that ;) I think there is this thing about not letting your folks down in deeply imprinted in most children in this world, regardless of their culture. But what i've learned is that your parents should love you no matter how bad you screw up (to some extent) and if they don't, well ... that's their problem :) (as you can see, today i am slacking ;) )

    ReplyDelete
  3. try looking for lil joy here and there to spice up life. like arguing with me =D.hahah-eileen

    ReplyDelete
  4. u FRAGILE HEART meh? Dun Key Key lah.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wah bernard dont anyone anyone come here and spoil my pristine reputation! liddat how to bluff xiao mei mei?

    our secret intimate dark details should be kept to PCKK. muwahaha.

    *disclaimer: the above speaking was the alter ego. the real jansen ko is not ham sup like the one above that revealed its wolf skin under the sheep's clothing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "You have to be confused to reach a new level of understanding" - so take heart... you're on the right track! (:

    Think that whether I go to uni or not, this school or that etc... Is all just a matter of taking different routes, but what i learn from each experience and how i develop from them are the things that i should be more concerned with - cos they are what will define me, transcend whatever part of my life im at, and stick with me till the end... yknow?

    We prolly pick to come to uni cos it embodies aspects tt we - we being the society we grew up in; the only one we really know? - value: rationality, stability, predictability and the like... Maybe u wanna either come to terms w it, or find whats valuable to u so u can reach a kind of equilibrium yknow

    I feel that happiness is such an impt part of being tt i wouldnt compromise it; so what makes you happy? Got to understand tt we tend to adopt the "grass is greener on the other side" lens when seeing things. Exactly what you have and are doing now, some young adventurer out there might pine for... "Everyone's fighting a tough battle". So I guess what im saying is tt its a case of pursuing happiness in finding and valuing what you have while crafting a desirable future for urself... For a no regrets sort of way of life yknow?

    "i'll find myself repeating the cycle all over again." - a random note: i realised in south east asia lect (week 5, so lect number 5) tt my life's so darn routine tt i even feel the urge to pee at the same time every friday - at around 2 to 3pm - 5 weeks consecutively leh no joke :P

    ReplyDelete