Jan 21, 2012

Why You So Irresponsible?!

A friend heard that I was going to France for 6 week for a rockclimbing trip post graduation. He/she enquired as to whether I've found a job yet, to which I responded that I haven't had such luck. In a passing remark, he commented, "So you haven't found job yet can go holiday already arh?"

At this point, the temperature in the air began to chill. All the baby blue in the sky was draining, revealing dank colours of moody grey and angst black. Cumulonimbus clouds were packing into itself in buffeting rolls of thunderstorm. As the tempest gathered momentum, the overcast sky threatened to tip over and unleash all its bone-chilling contents onto the unsuspecting passers-by below.  

Oh? You haven't gotten my drift yet? To do that, you'll have to read between the lines. Let me translate the comment: "You fucked up leh. Haven't find job yet still can go holiday. Why you so irresponsible?"

That person doesn't know that I've been attending career fairs ever since I was in my first year. That person doesn't know that I'm painfully aware of how inadequate my CV is, and in a bid to polish it I did one internship during my second year and another one during my third year.  To secure the first internship, I sent out letters to over 30 companies, before one finally graciously accepted me for a small position. To secure the second, I had to compete with over 140 other students to gain a spot in the school's cut-throat internship affiliation programme with industry players. Heck, typical undergrads play away these long breaks! The pain of rejection, of feeling small and worthless, only burns too brightly in my mind

The person doesn't know that I've painstakingly pulled up CAP up over the semesters until it has reached a level employers recognize to be respectable. After all that effort, the knowledge that it is only good for allowing me to put one foot through the door amuses me to no end. The CAP crawl was achieved  on top of other commitments, e.g. contributing to a fledgling rockclimbing magazine and blog, coaching at various school two to three times a week, training the novice girls in school over one semester, route-setting at both mock and actual competitions, and the heaviest of them all, an athlete for one of our local gyms. But I'm not complaining - I revel in the rush. I've never felt more alive.

The person doesn't know that I've been called up for two interviews already, both for investment analyst positions, the first with a property fund and the second with a property consultancy. For the latter, I'm humbly honoured that it was via a recommendation from a professor to one of his director friends. The person doesn't know that I prepared intensively for both, doesn't know the trepidation with which I stepped into the swanky offices, doesn't know that I thought the interviews went well, only to be dealt a mortal blow upon finding out I wasn't further shortlisted for either. 

The person also doesn't know that I'm still keeping my chin up. I'm still trying, still hopeful for this fresh round of hires. I've submitted various applications, but I'm past the stage of worrying about the results. I'll just let the results worry for itself. In the meantime, I'll go pursue what I love to do. I'll also hope for some luck. After all, luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. Too bad the opportunities are few and far between.

And for that person.. Well.. What he/she doesn't know won't hurt him/her.

8 comments:

  1. don't let anyone put you down! you are good, so be confident about it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anonymous. Thanks a lot! Your encouragement means a lot to me :)

      Delete
  2. Its ok to go for a short runaway before u dont get much time to do so in the future. Perhaps e person who said those words to u is jealous that you have the financial capability to go overseas before you even start work and he/she cant (just an assumption :))

    Maybe after u are back frm your grad trip,your friend hasnt get a jo b and you have, then you can walk up to him and say:" hey, i went for the trip and even secure a job. Have you?"

    Kx.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome Kx! I like your approach. I think I should be more fierce!

      Yah at one of the industry veteran sharing sessions I went to, the person told me exactly that - she went for her grad trip in the 1980s (how revolutionary is that), only starting job hunting when she returned. She eventually landed a good job when she returned, even faster than some of her friends that started job hunting earlier!

      Delete
  3. Jansen, you're damn fucked up. Think of all the people who are depending on you

    ReplyDelete
  4. i thought you might go along the lines of finding a job before going overseas and all.. cos i know ur a filial son and you would need to support your family, etc. bounded by social and moral obligations.

    im doing that now.. but spending endless hours daydreaming about when it'll be my turn to go on that one trip. i still cant do it now. pretty much, stuck. going on a trip (4k?!) before you find a job is not really a jansen thing.. haha. but im glad you're doing it anyway. plus jealous. haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've undertaken the 'finding' part, but it's just the 'securing' part that has eluded me. The idea of waiting for someone to get back to me before I can decide how to live my life is not so appealing, hence my course of action! There will be misgivings, but going forward, who can decisively know if it's a good or bad decision? So confusing =x

      Come too Jud? Magic Font and Celebrity Ceuse beckons..

      Delete
    2. i think i might join you guys in Ceuse... but i cant confirm now. yea. :p

      Delete