Feb 9, 2012

Shall We Dance?

Beverly: Why aren't you at the party?
Clark: Oh because it's a dance, and to dance you need a partner. My partner is right here.. Beverly.. dance with me?
Beverly: Ahh? I don't know how..
Clark: Yeah you do.. Yeah we've been dancing for the past 19 years..
Shall We Dance (2004)

I watched this awesome movie many years back. Yet, each time I listen to the theme song: The Book of Love, and re-watch the scene of Richard Gere waltzing up the escalator in a crisp suit and combed-back hair, holding a single rose in his hand to meet his wife, tears well up in my eyes. These tears remind me of the cry baby part of myself I keep hidden from most others, but still very much alive inside. Many years have passed, and many things have changed. Thankfully, I can take comfort in the knowledge that many things continue to stay the same, like the ability of this movie to cocoon me in a blanket of warm-fuzzy feelings and wash away a little of my cynicism.

The wife wanted to buy a gift for her husband, but he is a man of few wants. She tries to get hints as to what he likes, preferably something that comes in a box, but each time she cajoles him for information, he just smiles quietly. In the end, she discovered his passion - dancing. It lied buried beneath the surface, its glint smudged by the drudgery of everyday life. Its brilliant form, one decked in the royal colours of gold and silver, only reveals itself to those who will seek it. 

So on the morning of the day of his dance competition, she bought him a pair of sleek and shiny dancing shoes. On the box she attached a note:

P.S. I've finally found something you like that comes in a box.

So touching. So heart-warming. So tear-jerking. So poignant..

Which were my feelings precisely when this was presented to me:

Thank you Climb Asia!

2 comments: