Jul 6, 2012

Job Hunting Ironies

Ever since Semester 1 of my final year, I've embarked on job hunting. It's not too early to start, I thought. And so, with reference to my earlier blog posts here and here, I became well acquainted with the mixed feelings of eager anticipation and abject dejection.

The whammies came one after another; the crushing body blows dealt by the unforgiving human resource managers didn't let up. Despite an hour long interview which I felt pretty good about, the property investment arm of Henderson Fund Management turned me down. Perhaps 'turned me down' is too kind a phrase to describe what happened. To be more precise, he ignored me. Trust me, indifference hurts more than rejection. He ignored all my emails telling them how I appreciated them taking time out to interview me and of me looking forward to hearing from them soon. He ignored my later emails (sent two weeks later), querying about the muted response. Did they not receive my email? They must be too busy. Perhaps they will get back to me tomorrow? I wouldn't let myself acknowledge the hurtful truth, and so I protected my fragile ego with these comforting delusions. In the end, that tomorrow never came. All my correspondences were sucked into their human resource black hole, never to see the light of day again. Like the dirt in his eyes, I was to be rubbed out and flicked away. The sooner the irritant was cast out the better. Now that I think about it, I can only laugh at myself. How could I allow myself to appear so desperate, so spineless?


At the recommendation of a professor, I was introduced to the asset management director of Jones Lang LaSalle. I was given a second chance. Once again, I spared no effort in preparing for the interview. For those who do not know better, to an unseasoned job hunter, the process can be as arduous and mentally exhausting as preparing for an academic examination. But no matter, no expense is too great if I can secure the job, and what a coup it would be! But the fates would not be so kind to me. Despite putting on what I thought was a decent performance, and even going so far as to send her samples of my work, I was stymied yet again. She didn't revert to me as promised, which made me indignant. This time will be different, I thought vehemently. This time, I wouldn't take such nonsense (promising but not delivering) lying down. And so, in another fit of my righteous anger, I wrote a less-than-courteous email demanding to know the outcome. Don't leave me hanging in suspense, I stated exasperatedly. The reply came, and it was as curt as can be: you do not fulfill our requirements. Two-nil to me. Well.. at least I got a reply.. Does that count for a mini achievement?

The Jones Lang LaSalle Management Trainee programme came knocking and I went for it with guns blazing. I made it to Round 3 (there are four rounds in all), but fumbled at their unorthodox questions. I mean, how in the blazes am I supposed to sell ice to an Eskimo?! The demanding close-this-deal-by-hook-or-by-crook case studies and hastily-cobbled-together sales presentations was also beyond what my reasonable and methodical mind could accomplish. At the end of the terse four hour session, I was totally drained. Admittedly, I was caught unprepared, and rejection was the sad conclusion to this sorry episode. So close yet so far.. The roller coaster ride of emotions was getting too much to handle. At this point, I have nothing but three fat rejections to my name. A big hole was cratered in my armour of confidence. It was going to need some serious mending.

Dear rejection, I would rather you be stranger and not friend!

The clock was ticking down. My one and a half month long graduation trip was approaching. Remember the friend who chided me? I would have preferred to go on a holiday with the assurance of having a job waiting for me when I return. With that deadline looming, I was beginning to get desperate. At the rate of me sending out two applications per week, my 'job applications' folder was beginning to explode. I was losing track of who I applied to, fearing the day a firm may call me up only for my memory to draw a blank. The Singapore Land Authority got back to me in the midst of my finals examinations requesting for an interview. Ah hah! Here's my chance, I thought. I sat through their essay writing test and then was interviewed by a panel of three line managers. I tried to be relaxed and not too uptight, to show the interviewers more about myself, which hopefully will come across to them as me being sincere and unpretentious. But here I tripped myself up again. I guess they weren't too impressed with my flippant replies and callous attitude. How did things degenerate into this state? The eventual reply: We have found a more suitable candidate. As it stands now, it's four to zero. But who's bothering to keep score? It was turning out to be a one-sided routing, and the one getting his ass spanked was none other than yours truly.

Beaten and down-trodden, I went into the grad trip haunted by my worst nightmare. 'Never get job yet but have the cheek to go enjoy himself first? What audacity! What reckless abandon!', my conscience screamed. But fate has a strange way of surprising you in the most uncanny of ways. While I was traversing the French countryside, three organizations contacted me to arrange for interviews. They agreed to wait for me to return . They even sent emails as reminders.

As it turns out, now I have one offer and could quite likely be receiving another two. What is the reason for my changing fortunes? If I have to hazard a guess, I suppose it's because I got better at doing interviews. But now that I'm bestowed with the gift of choice, a new paradox has presented itself. Which offer should I take up?

What a headache! But it's a happy headache ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment