Nov 22, 2012

Dissonance

CLIMBING, OR MY LACK THEREOF

After much reflection, I realised that I was at my happiest in the final year of university. No, the reason was not getting FYP out of the way, nor getting over two traumatic failed relationships. The reason was because I finally fulfilled my dream of living the life of a pro-athlete. I overloaded on academic modules in the earlier semesters with the view of enjoying a lighter load in my final semester, timing it to coincide with the bouldering competition season. The earlier semesters were hell, but as a result I was granted the time to put climbing at the top of my priority list. Priceless.

I didn't gun for first class honours. Partly because I wasn't brilliant enough, and partly because I decided that it wasn't worth the effort. So I adopted the easier approach of just putting in the bare minimum effort required for second upper. The goal was just to be slightly above average, scoring B+s on those battles I cannot win and crushing back with some As. After starting work and with the benefit of hindsight, I'm glad I made that choice back then. The civil service rewards upper honours graduates in a manner that does not make sense. The private sector does not care what honours you get so long you get the job done.

With only 2 easy modules in my final semester, as well as staying within 5 minutes of the gym, I had the freedom of planning my training programme down to the letter. I proudly took on the mantle of a gym troll. Taking a leaf out of the books of the competition climbers from overseas, I elected to go for 2 short training sessions on my climbing days. This approach follows the philosophy that you need to pack in a high volume of climbing movement, so your body always remembers how to execute a particular movement. So I had one session in the morning and another in the evening. Warming up thoroughly, followed by a short but clinical session, and then stretching slowly, were all immensely beneficial.

A TARGETED APPROACH: TRAIN HARD, TRAIN SMART

I had 3 climbing days in a week, and did cross-training on non-climbing days, i.e. work on my cardio by jogging/swimming, hitting free weights in the gym for general conditioning as well as to target the antagonistic muscles. I watched my diet, opting to go for small meals in higher frequency, lean meats, less oil and less fat. On days I did free weights, I made sure I packed in more protein, i.e. milk and eggs, to aid the muscle hypertrophy and recovery process. I slept plenty - up to 10 hours a day. I also watched climbing videos almost religiously, scouring the various sites for a good dose of psyche on a regular basis. I also worked on the mental aspect of the game, improving my decision making process in the arena, on mental aces, on understanding what my mind and body is and is not capable of.

As a result of this single-minded approach, and without hindering distractions, my progress was nothing short of extraordinary. I became super fit, and didn't fall sick at all, not even suffer the morning sinus problem I was prone to. I was bouldering harder than I was ever was, easily cruising some of the hardest problems in the gym. 

EFFORT AND REWARD

All that effort paid off: I qualified for the finals of Boulderactive 2012, which hosted the arguably strongest field of competitors the local bouldering circuit has seen in years. To put things into perspective, some of the biggest names in the sport failed to qualify for a spot. I was mightily pleased with myself. This was despite putting in the route-setting slave hours for the chief routesetters, as well as being the van driver, making hour long trips to and fro Admiralty at 70km/h. Although I did not make it to the podium, I recognize that I've really come a long way from the days of being a scrawny climber who cannot dyno.

I've achieved what I've set out to do, and I'm contented. That memory, though fleeting, will remain etched to my mind. 

Sweetness that the memory evokes tastes saccharine
Bitterness at how the body has declined is chilling

THE MIND IS SET AND THE BODY MUST FOLLOW

I thought I will be satisfied to close this chapter of my book, but it is human nature to always want to come back for one last hurrah. Work and climbing hard is almost mutually exclusive. But I shall swallow up these pointless complaints, imaginary or otherwise. I will manage, and I will surpass. I like my job, opportunities for learning and growing are aplenty. But I will not give up on my climbing. I will make it work.

6 comments:

  1. your other La Sport athleteNovember 30, 2012 at 11:13 AM

    You go, boy. Or is it 'man'? ;) I believe that you have the tenacity to achieve such goals. It's definitely not gonna be easy... but that's what makes achieving the goals even sweeter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hello jansen

    (glad to read that "All that effort paid off..." all the discipline and determination that you have, i think i seriously lack. :S)

    anyway, the main purpose of this comment, is to get details from you!
    i'm about to go back to SG in January and would like to crash some of the local Uni. courses. and i recalled being interested in one of your previous modules taught by a particular Prof- but that's all i remembered.

    so.

    i searched through your archive-
    there we go..


    November 10, 2010 5:56 PM
    hi duckling,

    do i know you?

    he has taught for 5 years already but is leaving at the end of this academic year to return to the private sector. so, i dont think you'll be able to attend his classes.

    anyway, in case you are still curious as to what the module code is, you could drop me an email and i'll fill you in with the details.

    regards,
    jansen


    O_O it was 2 years ago?
    i apologise for the tardiness (at its worst) i don't have your email and that's most likely why I forgot to reply.. (lousy excuse but still plausible) and to your first Qn, no, you don't know me. and yes, i'm still curious about that module, please fill me in. hopefully, it's still conducted by the same Prof. wishful thinking after 2 years..

    thanks, and once again, sorry for the late reply!

    cheers
    `d

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear your-other-lasport-athlete

    I think it's definitely 'man'. I can't be a little boy anymore, sadly. I gotta 'man up' and face the problems as they come. I've developed quite serious eye bags, but I guess I gotta be thankful for them. They make me look older - an asset in my industry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With more serious eye bags, comes more serious money bags.

      Delete
  4. Hello Duckling

    The module is RE4802 - Real Estate Development by Professor Joseph Ooi. The module is quite challenging in the sense that the workload is quite heavy - almost a mini project every tutorial, as well as a mega project that amalgamates pretty much all the real estate modules from year 1 to 4. For the project every team member will have to carry his/her own weight, because every aspect of the real estate process is involved. From design and conception to market reearch to feasibility studies (residual valuation and discounted cash flow modelling) to marketing (sales pitch, there is never a dull moment.

    It was the module I enjoyed the most out of the 40 modules I've taken - opportunities for learning abound, if only you ask. As an administrator Prof Ooi is knowledgeable, respected, and has plenty of industry linkages. As a teacher he is humourous, never delivers his ideas in a self-important manner, unfailingly gentle, yet firm. All the hallmarks of a good professor.

    Opps sold too much ko-yok already =P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jansen

      Thanks for the concise introduction on that module! :)
      (All the ko-yok only further proves the point that you really enjoyed his class)

      Have a more fruitful year ahead~

      Delete