May 22, 2009

being a house husband


for the past few days i experienced how it feels like to be a house husband.


i woke up early in the morning to prepare breakfast for felicia. after which i sent her to the bus stop and then i went back home to make the bed and do the chores. mundane chores like hanging out the clothes, vacuuming and mopping the floor are a good time for reflections, hence this post. at the end of day i went to pick her up at the bus stop before heading to her house for dinner. on the bus she was in a foul mood because of the incessant demands of work. (i had to approach her with a 10-yard stick for fear of getting a venomous bite =p)

i really respect the men who are willing and able to set aside their careers and play second fiddle to their wives. the arena of bringing home the dough and putting food on the table is no longer a male dominated sanctity. of course i have been working through school and through the hols to earn some spare cash, but these 2 days of no work had really put the gears of thought into motion. how are house husbands able to meekly take orders from their earning wives? does this reversal of gender roles make the man any less capable? i suppose it takes a lot of trust and a whole load of love for the relationship to work.

a poem i wished i have chanced upon at a younger age:
Had I the heavens' embroidered cloths,
Enwrought with golden and silver light,
The blue and the dim and the dark cloths
Of night and light and the half-light,
I would spread the cloths under your feet:
But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.
- W B Yeats

2 comments:

  1. Fierceness. I admire ur perserverance dude. Gd luck for ur future. AHAHAHAHA.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wahaha!i dont like bernard!always steal jansen away and scare him about me.grrrrr.

    was my mood that foul!?!?haha

    ReplyDelete