Feb 15, 2011

TO GO OR NOT TO GO?

Dear climbers,

You are included in this email as you are in the top 3 positions in the Singapore Bouldering League in 2010.

As such, you are invited to take part in the -

SPOEX 2011 The North Face Cup & Discovery Climbing Festival

It is a bouldering competition, and it will be held from 26th to 27th February 2011. Please note that you date of arrival can be no later than 25th Feb.

Attached please find the particulars regarding the competition.

Please note that you will be responsible for your own airfare, but accommodation and transport in Korea will be provided.

Please do not hesitate to contact June Pein from Climb Asia if you are interested in the above event.

All the best!

(This email is sent to the top 3 Singaporeans in SBL 2010)

Ben Toh

SCA Manager


Did some rudimentary upside and downside analysis..

Reasons for Going

- Always been my dream to represent Singapore in climbing competitions at the international stage.

- Might not get a chance like this again in the future. I am a year 3 undergraduate. When I’m get into Year 4 I need to cut down on climbing, focus on FYP dissertation, focus on securing decent grades for the last gasp burst of my entire 16 years of education.

- Will be cool to rub shoulders with my climbing heroes who inspired me through their videos.

Reasons for Not Going

- Elbow tendonitis, left upper back injury, spilt finger tip (outer skin detached from inner skin). These injuries are haunting me and preventing me from climbing, much less training hard.

- 1 week notice (the comp is next weekend). Will go there not having trained for the competition and getting owned damn bad. Not training and making the finals in local competitions by the inch of a hair is one thing. Not training and then going for The North Face Cup is another. Throw my own face as well as Singapore's face.

- $600 airfare out of my own pocket

- Clashes with a coaching session with TJ which I've already promised Philip to take.


Decisions decisions.. Come on brain and heart.. get your fucking act together.

5 comments:

  1. hm.. thats a real big dilemma there. :p

    go? oppurtunities are hard to come by. plus... always thought you were the kind that would follow ur dreams. i know you have responsibilities and stuff.. but it'll always be there in the future too. do smth radical for once? haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go.

    Don't think about representing Singapore or what not. No one cares which country wins the North Face Cup. If you already know you will never have a chance to go for such an event, there's not a lot to consider.

    As for your injuries, just go easy. I know you are not a person who will give less than 100%, but the smart man is a man in control of his mind and body. Just go there and soak in the atmosphere. Enjoy being in the limelight.

    Don't let chances pass you by.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @jud:haha i'm the type who will always talk about following one's dreams, whether i actually follow my dreams or not is another matter. one moment my dream is to become a top climber, the other it is to become a savvy securities analyst, the next it is to pioneer a climbing gym with front street frontage in orchard road. how i know which dream to follow?

    @jensen: very wise.. very wise.. i wish i could too but it's really too short notice. apparently the top 3 ranked men arent going for various reasons, so perhaps they'll extend the invitation to other top boulderers.. like yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha I'm not in SBL for 2010, I'm not eligible. And I've got the girls to take care of. They are my #1 priority right now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm under no illusions to think that if you were in for SBL 2010, you would certainly be highly eligible.

    And your dedication to the girls.. What drives you?

    ReplyDelete