Mar 4, 2011

I hate that


I learned something recently: our true friends are those who are with us when good things happen. They cheer us on and are pleased by our triumphs. False friends only appear at difficult times, with their sad, supportive faces, when, in fact, our suffering is serving to console them for their miserable lives. When things were bad last year, various people I had never ever seen before turned up to console me. I hate that.

- The Zahir by Paulo Coelho

This paragraph totally echoed what I felt in an earlier episode when I 'ranted' about people coming up to console me when I failed to qualify for the finals of a climbing competition. Perhaps Paulo's choice of words (I hate that) were too harsh. But I also have that same aversion against people consoling me, it makes me feel small and weak.

No comments:

Post a Comment