Oct 12, 2011

2 things that made my day

It was after lessons and I headed to the engine canteen to have lunch. Nothing unusual, nothing out of the ordinary. Just that lo and behold, I chanced upon superiors from my ex company! They were at NUS to give a talk. Being my usual inquisitive (some would say kay-poh) self, I plastered them with questions regarding the career path decision making process. They shared with me some personal anecdotes, including but not limited to graduating into a bear market, sending out 90 resumes but only to receive 5 replies (all from the public sector - which he resolutely did not want), staking out for any opportunities that may present themselves while hanging onto an increasingly irritable job. I gleaned so many insights from their stories. I started talking to them about my career ambitions, and my frustrations at how companies seem only to want to hire 1st class honours graduates. I jokingly said that I might end up bumming around if I cannot find a job upon graduation. To that they replied that they'll be happy to take me if I applied to them. WHOOPIE. They even said to send the application to them, and that they would personally oversee my submission. Heh. A vindication of my efforts :)

In another incident, a totally random climber told me he's a big fan of my climbing!


Random person: u are a really awesome climber HAHAHAS
Jansen Ko: heyy thanks! erm.. but got many more stronger climbers than me lahh
Random person: Hahahahas not about being strong or what, character plays a part too
Jansen Ko: glad to have made your acquaintance then!






As seen on a random FB page
Heh. Damn happy now. To others it may not seem like much, but after having endured a rather depressive period lately (heartbreak, the perpetual torment of injuries, incompetent project group mates), these two bits of positive feedback is akin to a little ray of light piercing through the overcast sky to illuminate things that matter. Makes doing that shitty DCF spreadsheet so much more bearable. No matter that I have a presentation tomorrow morning, no matter that I just can't seem to figure out an appropriate discount rate to use for my cashflows, no matter that project deadlines are looming.. with these little pieces of encouragement, I find strength again to shoulder on! Hang in there Jansen!

Who knows what the future may bring, but he has a gut feeling that the best is yet to come!


曾經想征服全世界
到最後回首才發現
這世界滴滴點點全部都是妳

No comments:

Post a Comment