Jun 20, 2010

a farewell note from my climbing coach when i was 18


Hi everyone!

Having a party? BO JIO?
So how's the food?
Maybe I shouldn't ask…I'm trying hard not to imagine the buffet spread…

Whatever you do, please don't send any pictures of the food, ok?

Kelly and I have been vegetarians for a month now… Being vegetarian in India is quite ok. Everywhere in the streets, only vegetarian food is served anyway. But at the Yoga Institute, they serve only Sattvic food… which is food that is pure, organic and lightly cooked… sounds delicious? Well, first day in school, I was really just putting food in my mouth. Just for survival.

One of Yoga's teachings is that food should be just what you need to put in your body to survive. Eat just enough for your body to function. Full Stop. There should not be any likes or dislikes about it. As long as it's healthy, just eat it. There are Yogis who just eat flowers and meditate their entire life… Hardcore right?? I thought that was quite funny… Haha…

Anyway, I'm beginning to understand Yoga. It’s actually not a religion but a way of life. Yoga is defined as union of the body and soul. It’s not about levitating, putting your foot behind your head, or folding yourself in a suitcase (like what Yat Sau did before…sorry Yat Sau…) The postures called Asanas are just one of the many things a Yogi needs to do, apart from abstinence! The rational is that you should do these 'exercises' and eat these sattvic food to keep you healthy and alert etc, so that you can improve your mental state. You know, just like a climber's mind has to be stronger than his body… Not the other way round…

So, Yoga pursuits can be of many levels… to be simply detached from worldly greed and materialism etc … or to achieve a Divine life. But at the moment, I'm training my mind to stay awake during afternoon classes… btw, our classroom doesn't have tables and chairs. Everyone sits in meditative posture on a straw mat…

So Year Twos are still mugging?? Well, my best wishes to you all again… hope that you can make the best out of this final 'mission' in your college life. Don't think any one of you had been climbing much right? Since Pumpfest, I've not done any climbing either... Don't think I’ll get any chance to climb until December… Well, actually I don't miss climbing much… except that I wish I could do this Yoga course by the cliffs in Spain or France…

I think its good to stay away from an obsession once in a while… It allows me to think about why I like climbing etc. Why I still climb and compete after 13 years… Apart from the beautiful cliffs around the world, one of my greatest motivations is to see my students grow as climbers. I guess teaching climbing is my only way to tell people that there's a world out there to explore... also that with passion, everything is possible.

It was a special moment for Ms Tiew and I to see the drive in every one of you during PumpFest, also that there were so many ex-students competing as well. I was really touched to find out how some of you have become stronger mentally… also to find out that you have treasured the journey more than the outcome. The letters that you wrote were special to me… though I felt like I was reading love letters …

So I really wish that you guys can continue to explore the world through climbing. You know, it's the cheapest way to travel… Hmmm, Batu Caves and Swiss Inn are exceptions… but great memories though.

Hope you're enjoying the party. Now is your turn to demand a free buffet spread right?

Ok, take care. Thanks for the farewell flip cards. We really liked it.

Namaste.
(Which means:
the soul within me, bows down to the soul within you…)

Enjoy the party,
Philip.

No comments:

Post a Comment